What’s that? Winter you say? Sounds like the perfect time for ice cream to me! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – it’s never too cold for ice cream. I know lots of you are covered in snow right now, and I bet ice cream would make you feel better about that! Don’t believe me? Try this super chocolatey ice cream full of banana sweetness and I’ll wait for you to tell me I’m right, I won’t even tell you I told you so – I’m nice like that!
I’m on a bit of banana kick at the moment. I keep buying them and just waiting for them to go over ripe in the fruit bowl, so I can make something yummy with them! With this batch of bananas I was torn between two ideas, so I did the only thing I could – made one of them and bought more bananas so I could make the other thing too! This yummy chocolate banana ice cream was the result of the first batch – creamy, chocolatey, sweet and oh so delicious!
Now I know you’ve probably heard about that healthy banana ice cream that is pretty much just mashed frozen bananas, but you’re not going to find any of that kind of healthiness here I’m afraid – this is proper ice cream, full of real cream! It still has bananas in though, so it’s entirely bad for you right? All that potassium totally negates all the fat and sugar I’m sure of it! Come to think of it, with all that potassium this ice cream is sure to be a hangover buster. See, I’m looking out for you guys 😉
I originally thought about just banana ice cream, but then I remembered everything is made better by chocolate so I had to add it! I use both cocoa powder and melted chocolate in this ice cream, to really give it that chocolate boost. It doesn’t over power the banana though, both flavours punch through beautifully alone while also complimenting each other! I put a little cinnamon in there too a) because I’m me and b) cinnamon really does compliment banana so nicely. You will need an ice cream maker for this recipe, but it’s a worthwhile investment if you love ice cream as much as me!
So let’s do a headcount shall we? Banana? Check! Chocolate? Check! Real cream? Check! Deliciousness? Double check! Yep, this ice cream really does have it all! You won’t be sorry you made this, and neither will your family/friends/random people who show up at your house to eat your ice cream. Serve it up with some fresh banana slices or even on top of a nice warm pie, and you’ll have one awesome dessert! Since it’s homemade it won’t last as long as your store bought ice cream, but trust me when I tell you it won’t have a chance to go bad – you’ll be lucky if it lasts overnight!
I’d love to see what you guys are up to on social media, You can find me on Twitter,Instagram,Pinterest and Facebook.
If you liked this post, why not enter your email address into the subscription box on my side bar to get my future posts directly into your inbox!
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
Delicious chocolate banana ice cream, simple to make and oh so worth it
- 4 Bananas, very ripe
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 60g chocolate finely chopped
- 1 cup double cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 egg yolks
- Put the bananas and 1/8 cup of the sugar in a blender, and blend to combine. Only do a couple pulses if you'd like little chunks of bananas in your ice cream like me, otherwise blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Put the chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat 3/4 cup the cream until bubbles just start to appear and pour over chocolate. Leave to stand for 1 minute and then stir until smooth.
- Pour the cream and chocolate mixture back into the pan with the milk, rest of the sugar, cocoa, salt and cinnamon. Heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until sugar is all dissolved and it just starts to steam. Remove from heat
- Whisk egg yolks in a bowl. Ladle 1/4 cup of the cream mixture into the bowl with the eggs and whisk in. Repeat with 2 more 1/4 cups of the mixture - until egg yolks are warm to touch.
- Pour egg mixture into the pan and return to a medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture thickens. It's ready when it coats the back of the spoon - it will be about 80C/170F on a candy thermometer. Do not boil!
- Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the cream and the banana mix. Transfer to a bowl.
- Fill a bowl slightly larger than the bowl your custard is in with ice water, place the custard bowl in the ice water. Cool in ice bath for 20 minutes, until room temperature (make sure no water can spill into the custard). Transfer to the fridge and chill for 3 hours or overnight.
- Freeze the custard in your ice cream maker according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
- Once it reaches a soft serve consistency, transfer to your storage container and place in freezer overnight.
- Leave at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before scooping and serving
- Keep in airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the freezer
- I used dark chocolate, but milk chocolate will be good too - whichever you prefer.
- Recipe makes about 1 quart (950ml)
Giraffes Can Bake https://www.giraffescanbake.com/
No Churn Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
Chocolate Banana Muffins
Fiesta Friday, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Inspire Me Wednesday,Create It Thursday, Cook It! Craft It! Share It!, Foodie FriDIY, Super Saturday, Show Me Saturday, Scraptastic Saturday, Motivation Monday, Frugal Crafty Home,