The Rory Cocktail is a very pink drink, made from pineapple vodka, grenadine and champagne or prosecco, served in a martini glass with a pink sugar rim! A really fun, easy and yummy way to celebrate the return of Gilmore Girls with cocktails and girl power!!
I am very excited today my lovely readers. Because do you know what’s coming up VERY soon? No, I don’t mean my trip to Atlanta. Or Thanksgiving. I’m am so very excited for November 25th! And nope, it’s not because I’m looking for some good Black Friday deals. Have you guessed yet? If the title of this post did not give it away, or the intro blurb, then you must not be a Gilmore Girls fan. That’s right! After 9 long years off of our televisions, Gilmore Girls is back on November 25th!!! There will be a four hour special on Netflix so we can find out what’s going on with our favourite Stars Hollow residents! And not so favourite (go away, Dean). Who else is excited?!
I will be having a little watching party with a few friends, and even though it’s the day after we’ve stuffed ourselves on Thanksgiving dinner you can bet there will be plenty of junk food in true Rory and Lorelai fashion! And what’s a party without cocktails? Gilmore Girls fans may recognise this Rory Cocktail as the bespoke cocktail Emily had created for Rory’s 21st birthday party in season 6. The joke was it was overly sweet, way too pink and an affront to the martini. But I said forget that, I’m gonna make this cocktail and I’m gonna make it delicious! And I did!
The Rory Cocktail is a pink drink served in a martini glass, much to Lorelai’s dismay (“they shouldn’t be allowed to put just anything into a martini glass. Martinis should go into a martini glass. Gin martinis, vodka martinis, period. That’s it”) but I like to break the martini rules as it is, so I’m all for this fake sweet martini. It’s a combination of vodka, pineapple juice, grenadine and champagne. Fun fact, I’m actually allergic to pineapple, but we all have to suffer for our art! I used homemade pineapple vodka (really easy and I’ll give you all the instructions on how to make it in the recipe) to tone down the sweetness and because of my allergy, and it worked really well. You get the pineapple taste, it’s not too sweet, and I didn’t suffer too much drinking it! If you can’t get pineapple vodka, or don’t want to make your own like I did, you can mix regular vodka with an ounce of pineapple juice – I will put a note in the recipe for this sub!
The Rory Cocktail is very pink, it HAS to be! To get that great pink colour, you only need to put a tiny amount of grenadine in it, otherwise it will go too red. In this cocktail, the grenadine really is just for the aesthetics rather than for taste. The original Rory Cocktail calls for champagne, but as I only like expensive champagne and I’m on a tight budget, I used prosecco – which is a little dryer than champagne which helps tone down the sweetness again. But you can use champagne or your favourite sparkling white wine if you would prefer.
To really make this The Rory Cocktail, you NEED the pink sugar rim! All you need is some granulated or coarse sugar and a bit of pink food dye, it’s really quick and easy to make your own pink sugar for rimming and again, I’ll tell you how to make this in the recipe. Luke says this Rory Cocktail actually tastes pink and it is like drinking a My Little Pony – the pink sugar rim will definitely give you that look! I think Luke felt a little emasculated drinking this very pink drink, but I say boo to that! Pink drinks are for everybody! Especially when we’re celebrating the return of such an awesome show! Let’s get mixing!
The Rory Cocktail is a "martini" made with vodka, pineapple, grenadine and champagne or prosecco. It's ridiculously pink and the perfect way to celebrate the return of Gilmore Girls!
- 250g (about half a pineapple) pineapple, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 150ml (4.5oz) vodka
- 2 tbsp granulated or coarse white sugar
- a few drops of pink food colouring
- 2oz chilled pineapple vodka (or 2oz regular vodka mixed with 1oz pineapple juice)
- 1/4 tsp grenadine
- 150ml (4.5oz) chilled champagne or processo
- Put the pineapple in a 2 cup jar. Fill up with vodka. Seal tightly and leave in a cool, dark place to steep for at least one week. Strain through a fine mesh sieve a couple times (or through cheese cloth to make it extra smooth). Store in a sealed bottle/jar.
- Put the sugar in a ziplock bag or small tupperware, add 2-3 drops of pink colouring. Seal the bag or tupperware and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds. Remove any lumps of food colouring left behind.
- Run a piece of pineapple (or lemon wedge if you have no pineapple pieces) around the rim of your martini glasses. Spread the pink sugar out on a small plate and dip the rims of the glasses to coat.
- Put the pineapple vodka (or vodka and pineapple juice) and grenadine in a cocktail shaker, and give it a couple of shakes. Pour into martini glasses.
- Top up with champagne or prosecco
- Serve immediately.
So, who else is excited for the Gilmore Girls return? Will you be having a watching party?
And, I have to ask, are you #TeamLogan, #TeamDean or #TeamJess? Personally, I’m #TeamRory – but I do love Logan!
Sharing with…. Saucy Saturdays